Tempat Download Cheat dan Password Games Terbaru Lengkap

Olympus Stylus XZ-2, Three Years Later

About three years ago, I have reviewed the Olympus Stylus XZ-2, the then flagship compact camera from Olympus. Many of you may not know this, the Olympus XZ-2 reviews were the most popular blog entries with the highest number of page views. This was further reflected by the number of emails and messages I have received asking generally about XZ-2, even to this very day! I genuinely thought that it was a highly capable compact camera, packed with all the high end features from OM-D and PEN cameras such as Touch AF, Tilt LCD screen, super control panel and having an accessory port to use an external Electronic Viewfinder. The strength of the XZ-2 lies in that Zuiko lens, 28-112mm F1.8-2.5 which is extra bright, and delivers beautiful, sharp images. 

Why a compact camera? After all I am quite comfortable using the Micro Four Thirds system (and that Fuji X100 for a bit now), but compact cameras will always have that place in my heart. I started photography with point and shoot digital compact cameras (no I did not start with film, unfortunately). I used compact cameras for a span of four years, killing three in the process of learning photography. I had Kodak CX300, Kodak CX7430, and Kodak C875. Did I wish I have more controls? Did I wish the image quality was better? Did I wish I could do more with my Kodak compact cameras? Yes, yes, yes and yes to these questions. However, did I wish I had a DSLR during those compact camera years? Did I wish I have picked up a DSLR sooner? Nope. I never regretted using the compact cameras for four years, and I would have continued using so, as I was at my early learning stage, and I thoroughly enjoyed my experience using the compact cameras with their restrictions and limitations. 

Digital cameras have come a long, long way now. The Olympus Stylus XZ-2 would have been the ultimate camera and I would have wished I had nothing more, if it existed during my early learning years with compact cameras. 

Why am I using the XZ-2 now? 

I guess, in a way, I am reminding myself that all the gear that are available and accessible to me now are more than sufficient for the kind of photography I am doing. 

I may not be able to speak for you, as your requirements and usage for photography may differ. For my own shutter therapy, I do not need a million megapixels, in fact the humble 12MP on the XZ-2 is plentiful. I do not use ridiculously high ISO numbers, I mostly stay below ISO400, and the XZ-2 allows me usable shooting up to ISO1600, hence lots of room to work with. Autofocus was not lightning fast like the newer OM-D cameras, but fast enough for shooting on the street, and generally the camera just works. The lens is amazing, with Image Stabilization built in. The camera shoots RAW, and I can run through my usual workflow with Olympus Viewer 3 in my post processing. 

Even after three years since its launch, I can pick up the XZ-2 and still be happy with it. 


Steel Bridge



Morning News

Portrait of a Stranger 1

The great thing about using a compact camera? You have admirable macro shooting capability built in. 

Curious Eyes

Sunflower

Vivid Colors

Portrait of a Stranger 2

Portrait of a Stranger 3

Wrong Direction

Friends

Co-Workers

Gigantic Posters

Sleep

The Great Malaysian haze

High Seat

Chess

Chinese Opera 1

Chinese Opera 2

Chocolate

Heavy Pancakes

pew pew
Special Thanks to Jackie

the weekend Hero

Did I wish I brought along the E-M5, or GM1 instead? Not a bit. 

I do admit that DSLR, Micro Four Thirds system or any other Mirrorless systems are generally infinitely more capable than the older compact cameras such as the Olympus XZ-2, but seriously, do we need all those capabilities in the photography that we do? 

Yes, in the consumer's mindset, more is always better: stronger, faster, more powerful and the race of advancement in technology and innovation to attain that elusive "best" camera and lens. 

I myself, am guilty of forever complaining about the things that I wish could have been better in all the cameras that I use. Sometimes, I think we should take a pause from all the frustration on what we do not have or what our gear cannot do for us , and just focus on what we can do with them. 


Facebook Twitter Google+

Back To Top